everything fierce, everything fabulous, everything fashion.

Tuesday 23 July 2013

#1 DIY: PaPa Pants

Move of Mom, Dad jeans are here.


Yesterday I began my summer hanging out with my dad...I know...COOL RIGHT!

Whilst rummaging through his typical dad clothes, I came across a trunk of 90's treasures. There was a heap of old denim jeans which I couldn't let go to waste, after all, I'm all for recycling and sustainability. The light, washed out blue caught my eye so I thought it would be fun if I put them on and imitate my dad and his briiiilliant sense of style. When they were on I actually had clothes envy because I didn't have any denim this colour! So I got inspired and decided to remake them his jeans into high waisted hot pants. 



      

Before               After



    


I was really eager to finish them before I went out, so I didn't measure anything. I ended up having to add a side panel because I underestimated my size (embarrassing!)

I'd really recommend measuring your waist and how much to trim on each side. Another thing, before you destroy the jeans, try them on and see if they'll reach your waist without the crotch bunching up to look like you've got a camel toe. 



You can see at the back where the material gathers a little but I  quite like the inaccurate sizing, it makes them feel more customised and less calculated. I think that's a key feature of dad jeans (I'm hoping it'll catch on) omg..maybe they can be papa pants? Or is that too cringe? Anyways, don't be too precise and just cut roughly. You'll need a belt to keep the shorts from falling down, or you could use braces! I'm imagining daisy print ones...oooh. 


Steps

1. See if the jeans can reach your waist comfortably
2. Cut the basic shape of your shorts 
3. Unpick the sides ( or just rip them open ) 
4. Measure (or don't) how much excess you'll need to cut off on both sides
5. Cut both sides
6. Sew ONE side of the shorts
7. Put on the shorts and see if you've estimated the right amount to cut on both sides
8. If it's too much, add a panel, if they're too big cut more unless you want more of a gathered waist.
9. Sew the second side
10. Fray the hem either using your fingers, tweezers or a pin to separate fibres in the twill weave. 



1 comment:

  1. the shorts look so good

    notanotherjess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete